Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Science Project Friday!

Friday, October 19th, we will be having our 2nd Science Project Centers day! Our first one was fun for the kids, but would have been even better with more adults. We need at least 3 helpers for the morning from beginning (9am) to end (no later than 11:10). We eat lunch at 11:15, then our afternoon will consist of writing time, Book Buddies Reading time with Ms Polinsky's class, and P.E.



Can you come?



That's ok if you can't because we still need help your collecting supplies. We will need:

Activity 1(properties of matter/energy)
1. 2 or 3 electric skillets (just to borrow for the day)
2. 2 boxes of cake mix
(1 chocolate, 1 strawberry)
3. 5 ounce waxed paper cups (one for each person- about 30)
4. 2 Tablespoons (the actual spoons- again just to borrow!)
5. Wooden craft sticks (30)


Activity 2 (energy/force- push/pull)
5 or 6 Lids from jars- metal ones work best like the kind from pickle jars or baby food jars


Activity 3/4: (energy/force- push and pull)
1. 2 spools of light twine
2. Non-flex drinking straws
3. Bag of Cotton balls
4. Bag of 100 Pipe cleaners/twisty stems

Activity 5 (energy & properties of matter)
4 cups heavy whipping cream
4 empty glass jars with lids (jelly, mayo, fluff) not jars with strong smells like pickles and olives nor peanut butter in case of allergies)
1 hand crank mixer (it will be returned!)
1 electric hand held mixer
Crackers or bread


There may be a few more supplies needed, but I left list at school. I will be sending a www.signupgenuis.com email out with the sign up for volunteers and a complete list of needs so we don't duplicate too many supplies. We will be combining a few science standards with math and writing that day to "integrate" our content and hopefully show the kids how interdependent the skills that we are learning really are.
You guys are welcome to come help! Don't worry, I will not be quizzing you parent helpers on the various strategies for double-digit addition. I promise!

7 comments:

  1. I can come! As of right now, I know I have both cake mixes, cotton balls and an electric mixer. May have some glass jars in my recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I filled you in on signupgenius! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss G,
    I will come to assist you on Friday. Also, I can donate bread (1 loaf), heavy whipping cream, and straws (30).

    Reisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reisha, I tried to email you a reply, did you get it?

      Delete
  4. I can lend an electric skillet and give the wooden craft sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Except they're both taken. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I think there is one slot left for the electric skillet. I asked for 3. I know of two.

      Delete