Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Media Center

We finally made it to the media center today. I feel so accomplished! You just don't know how stressed I've been about getting the kids up and running for AR points. Well, before we get to excited, Mr Estell says no AR tests until Sept 17th. Yes I know that is 2 weeks away, but many of the kids picked chapter books, which is awesome!  I am trying to get them to choose 1 chapter book and 1 picture book at a time, so that they can spend quality time on the chapter book, while taking quizzes on picture books more frequently.  I will be encouraging the kids to take a minimum of 4 quizzes a month. I would really like for each child to pass a minimum of 4 this quarter, seeing as the 17th is a little less than a month from the end of the 1st quarter. I told one mom that the kids should read the picture books a minimum of 3 times before attempting a quiz. Mr Estell and I also discussed the use of the books during the quiz. He says its the kids choice wether or not to use the book during the quiz. He says that when the kids are taking formal assessments like ITBS or CRCT, the kids have the reading passage when answering questions, so they might as well practice that way for computer time. Another strategy that I have been working on is the recording of important facts on sticky notes as they read. He says if that is a strategy that I use then it too is up to the studen's choice wether or not to use it.

Orange folders are being sent home Tomorrow. These have any papers with a grade  and will be sent home every OTHER Wednesday. Please review the papers in side and sign the monster sheet. All papers need to return to school on Fridays.

Thanks,
G

1 comment:

  1. Please explain to me what AR is. I dont speak the language yet. (LOL).

    ReplyDelete