Friday, September 14, 2012

Its been a while!

Has it really been 4 days since my last post? How unlike me! ;)


The book reports can be turned in tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday. We have a little time Friday, and Monday to share the book reports. Two got turned in today and I think they are going to be beautiful in the hallway! I will be sending the Ga project home with the kids as we take the off the walls. I have to say that I really enjoyed them, and think that you and the kids did a fabulous job on them.

Language Arts/Reading
In my experience, reading mixed witp

Homework: The 2nd team and I have been trying to coordinate the homework so that it is uniform. At our staff meeting we were introduced to an additional piece of homework that we are being asked to include. I know I said that you will not be getting a new packet of work Monday, but I will be sending home this new addition on Monday. I am not sure how the addition of this writing piece will affect you at home, but I am positive it will enhance the children's writing abilities on a day to day basis, and ultimately its their success in academics and the confidence that is instilled in them when they KNOW that they can do it is my goal.


Reading and Writing Connection- We have been focusing on reading informational texts and responding in written form. This is a new concept for the kids. We are going slowly and talking through the process step by step. In my mind its really the first time ever that they are learning to "take notes" in the old fashioned sense and generating a written response that has no opinion in it. We are using the sticky notes to create a writing piece that retells what we've learned. Again its new, and tough to internalize as its not a natural genre of writing for the kids. Ask them about:
1. Georgia's Creek Indians- Specifically reading the Orange Social studies books, and using sticky notes to help remember key points.
2. Sticky notes- ask how we use them in the class and if your child thinks it helps them remember the content or organize their thoughts.
3. Place Value- In math we are still working on skip counting by 10s, and 100s. We will begin skip counting by 5s starting at random numbers. This will be a challenge for many! I suggest using Coins at home for those of you who like to add extra help at home.

Have a great weekend! It is supposed to be very beautiful!
Miss G

No comments:

Post a Comment