Friday, September 19, 2014

Fall Break is Ending

I hope you've had a great week to relax and refresh your minds. We will be getting right into the curriculm and moving at a little quicker/more appropriate pace. 

Monday, please make sure the kids are fed a healthy breakfast (either at home or at school) so that their brains have the fuel it needs to work correctly. We'll all need to be awake and alert so that the work we do is quality work, done with our best effort. (Notice I said "we'll" and "our" this means me too!) Please review the expectations for behavior a couple times before Monday. 

Things to keep "fresh" in the kids' minds-
1. Remove AR books from backpack in morning & pack a book in backpack at dismissal each day. 
2. The students are older now. They need to take responsibility for their work, their actions, theirselves, and their supplies.
3. Effort is always more important than natural skill. 
4. (New) Laughing at other's mistakes is unacceptable, instead encourage and offer to help when a friend is uncertain. 

Class rule: I will try my best in everything I do. 


Update on supplies needed for class:
1. We have plenty of Sticky Notes. Thanks to all who sent some in. 

2. iTunes audio books have been purchased. They will begin to use the iPods this week. Any future gifts of iTunes cards would be appreciated, we'd love to add to our book list!

3. Cushions- I caved a few weeks ago and bought 3 new cushions myself when I saw them on sale for $11. You can't beat $11! 


If you haven't noticed, I am used to buying what is needed. Its taken me 17 years to even offer a list parents can help with! Lol. 

Volunteer needs-
1. Someone who can commit to making copies during the school day on Thursdays or Fridays each week. I have been staying at school until 8 the past few fridays to get copies made for the following week's classwork and homework packets. I should be at the gym by 5:30 for my water aerobics class. 

2. Room Parent- I realized this week I don't have anyone that is the Room Mom/dad that can help keep communication between all of you. Someone who can organize class parties and help me when I need a parent's veiwpoint. 

3. Morning Volunteers for Media Center Rotations. M-TH. 9:45-11:15 it would be really nice to have different parents pick a day in which they can engage with the kids while they are in the Media Center checking out books that are appropriate for each child. Some of you may have noticed your son or daughter bringing home books that are too hard or too easy. This usually happens when they are in the Media Center with guidance. They have the opportunity to go to the library in groups of 5 during Literacy Centers, since I am monitoring the other 20 students and teaching guided reading, I have limited chances of reviewing their selections.


I am thinking of using sign-upgenius.com or trying out a new resource called volunteerspor.com. If you get an email from either company it's from me, please do not delete it! 

Parent-Teacher Conferences are 1 month away! I do use sign-up genius for that! So be on the look out for that link! Everyone gets a 20 minute meeting with me. It's up to you if you want your child there. It's a first come first serve kinda deal. I tell you what times I'm available for meetings. You click on the time you want and no one else can take it. 

Thanks for your time and support:
G

PS- there is a Math workshop this Thursday. Meeting starts in the Media Center, then breaks out into geade level sessions. I will be teaching the 2nd Grade breakout session. 

2 comments: