Saturday, August 2, 2014

Welcome to a New Year!

I enjoyed meeting many of the families Friday. Thank you for coming in and checking out our classroom!
I will be sending this information home on green paper Monday, but some of you might want to know it already.  I look forward to a great year with all of you and your children.

Things to know in Miss Gustafson’s Room

Allergies- Ms. G is severely allergic to scents. Please do not send the kids to school in perfume or cologne. I can’t breathe.
Breakfast- If kids are eating breakfast at school they need to come to room first, so please drop them off no later 7:30. The lunch ladies stop serving at 7:45.
Volunteers- I will let you know when we are ready for company. You are welcome to come into the class anytime as long as your presence does not change the behaviors of the students.
Special Activities- When we have special activities, I will let you know, if I know in advance. For example: August 13th, we have a visitor from the Cobb Safety Village. Then on August 20th, we have our first field trip. We are going to the Cobb Safety Village, this is not a trip we invite parents to at the request of the Safety Village.  This will usually be written on the weekly homework packet 1-2 weeks prior to the events.  
Communication- Agenda and folders need to return to school every day.  Questions? Call or text me: 404-824-6821
Lunch- we eat lunch at 11:20-11:50. You are welcome to join us, any day after August 18th. The first 2 weeks of school the lunch ladies, students and teachers need to get our routines established and times are not always exact.  LUNCH from Home- no sodas or fast food items are allowed to be brought. This is stated in the student handbook. If there is a medical reason for any of these items approval has to go through the nurse, Mrs. Shirley.
Hydration- The kids are welcome to keep a screw top bottle of water with them in the classroom.  No juice or other drinks will be allowed. I will be drinking water and it’s a great habit for the kids too! No snack at this time.
Sweater- Our classroom air conditioner is not controlled by me.  It can get really chilly in our room or really warm every day. Please send a sweater or sweatshirt that can be stored in their reading bags so the kids can choose to wear it when needed.
PTA- Our PTA has been doing some great things for our school. Please be the P and join our organization. The first meeting will be held September 11th, and Open House will follow the meeting. Hope to see you there!
Homework- Reading Logs will go home immediately, but work packets and spelling will not begin until August 18th.  My procedure is as follows…
v     Monday- new packet given. Kids work all week completing packet. If you have a family outing on Wednesday and get back late, do it another day.
v     Next Monday (or Tuesday if no school)- I take out old homework and give new. The packet should be complete. If it is not, I’ll hope for better effort the new week.
Please note: I will not penalize the students for not completing the homework.  I feel the lack of practice and growth is penalty enough when it comes to assessments and report card times. The kids will never have homework on a new skill. I will give myself and the kids about 2 weeks of school practice before you see any math strategies in the homework packets. This generally means that they can do the work “mostly” independently in the classroom. 
v   Breaks- We are encouraged to give homework over long breaks. I believe the most important homework is reading every day, unless I just focused on a new skill, I most likely will not send other work.  


In order to reply or ask questions, I think you need to have your own blog or a google account.  It is easy and free to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment