Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Email homework

I have been getting some great answers to some of the email questions lately. I am excited that the kids are learning more about typing, and are fearless when it comes to the computer! I wanted to share some really cool responses.

Tonight's ?- Miles has 4 friends over to play cars. He has 100 cars to share. Miles has 13, Jon has 18. Mike, Frank, and George share the rest. How many cars could Mike, Frank, and George each have?

" I solved the problem using base ten 13+18+?=100 and first I added 13+18=31, 31+?=100. Second I changed up to 100-31=?, 100-31=69. Third I divided in three like this IIIIIIxxxxxxxxx = IIxxx + IIxxx + IIxxx . So Mike, Frank and George got 23 blocks each."

"Mike can get 13. Frank can get 33. George can get 23.I know I that because I drew base ten. I drew 1 ten and 3 ones for miles and I drew 1 ten and 8 ones for Jon. So then I made a chart and put mike`s name then I put an f for frank`s name and the I put a g for George`s name. I gave mike 13 then frank 33 and George got 23."

Last week's questions- describe Tonight's moon.

"Tonight I can't see the moon. I'll pretend I saw a full moon today. The moon looks like big marble ball stick on the sky."


3-5 sentences, tell me why we can only see the sun and no other stars duringthe day.


"We connot see the other stars because it is light outside. Also, you cannot see the stars because they are a billion miles in the sky."

I just wanted to also thank all of you for your willingness to learn all of the addition strategies. I know it seems like a lot, but I can really tell that many of you help your child practice the strategies. They are actually talking about the strategies in class and thinking about which strategy would work best. But my favorite thing of all is that they see connections between the place value, the strategies, and have a better understanding of why the answer is right. Last week a student even tried 2 strategies for the same problem, then said "I just wanted to see if I got the right answer!" Then a few others did the same thing. Totally cool!

Thank you!
G

No comments:

Post a Comment